The Hopkinton Fire Department responded to a fire on the second floor of a home on Elizabeth Road on Monday morning.
Upon arrival, crews found a heavy smoke condition on the second floor. The fire had been extinguished by the homeowner before crews arrived. Firefighters confirmed that the fire was contained to one room.
Upon further investigation, crews learned that a bedroom smoke alarm awoke a sleeping resident and alerted others in the home of the fire, which provided them time to exit the residence. The homeowner then ran upstairs with a pail of water and doused the flames, which held the fire to just one room.
There were no injuries as a result of the incident. The home sustained approximately $15,000 in damage, however, the residents were able to remain in the home.
Fire Chief William Miller used the incident as a reminder to residents to ensure they have smoke alarms installed inside every sleeping room in addition to outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.
“Smoke alarms proved their immense value in this incident by waking up the residents and giving them time to get out of the house,” Miller stated, via a press release. “Sprinklers are another step property owners can take to reduce loss of life and property in fires. This week is National Fire Prevention Week, and this year’s campaign stresses the importance of working smoke detectors and a home escape plan for all families through the theme ‘Fire Will Not Wait, Plan Your Escape.’ “