Letter to the Editor: After close call, importance of CO detectors driven home

88

Last Friday, we returned from our first dinner out in over a year. We had smelled what we thought was gas that afternoon, but it was stronger that night. We called the Fire Department. Firefighter Scott Jurasek and a colleague arrived. He entered the house and his meter was screaming. He told us to get out — it was carbon monoxide and it was heavy. He called the gas company. The furnace was red-tagged and we spent a very cold Easter weekend, but that was definitely better than the alternative with all the CO! They aired out the house and remeasured the levels. They also discovered that our CO monitors were no longer working. I would like to suggest that others check their smoke and CO detectors. The Fire Department literally saved our lives.

— Sarah Duckett, Hopkinton

Editor’s note: The opinions and comments expressed in letters to the editor are those of the writers and not necessarily those of the Independent. Submissions should be no more than 400 words and must include the writer’s name and contact information for verification. Letters should be relevant and not primarily for the purpose of promoting an organization or event. Letters may be edited by the Independent staff for space, errors or clarification, and the Independent offers no guarantee that every letter will be published. For a schedule of deadlines for letters and other submissions for the print edition, click here.